It used to mean something to say “I was there the time Manny Machado hit multiple home runs.” These days, not as much.
With his two home runs on Sunday versus the Cleveland Indians, Machado already has his third multi-homer game of the 2018 season. Prior to this year, he had only one multi-homer game in the month of April (April 23, 2015).
Here are five facts about Manny Machado and multi-homer games for the Baltimore Orioles.
1. Manny Machado now has 17 career multi-homer games for the Baltimore Orioles. That ties him with Brady Anderson for the fifth-most multi-homer games in team history.
2. Manny Machado now has three of more multi-homer games in four consecutive seasons.
2018 – 3
2017 – 5
2016 – 3
2015 – 4
(Note: Machado also had two multi-homer games in 2012)
3. Manny Machado’s single-season best for multi-homer games came in 2017 when he had five.
Chris Davis had eight multi-homer games in 2015, which is the most in any season for an Orioles batter. Frank Robinson (1966), Jim Gentile (1961), and Brady Anderson (1996) each had seven multi-homer games in a single season.
4. Given another three-homer game Manny Machado would tie Boog Powell and Eddie Murray for the most three-homer games in team history.
Powell and Murray each had three games with three home runs during their Orioles careers. Machado is tied with Chris Davis with two.
5. Manny Machado became the youngest Baltimore Orioles player with a multi-homer game when he first did it on August 10, 2012 at age 20 and 35 days.
He did it again that September.
Hitting homers in bunches, that’s what Manny Machado does.
Related Reading: Rumble, Young Manny, Rumble (Aug. 8, 2016)