I had some fun with Joey Rickard’s four-hit game versus the Tampa Bay Rays in a Roar From 34 post earlier today. Doing the research for that post provided me the opportunity to review Frank Robinson’s four-hit games in Baltimore, which are the subject of this week’s Frank Robinson Friday.
The Judge had a four-hit game on six different occasions for the Baltimore Orioles.
- July 21, 1966 versus the Detroit Tigers
- Aug. 31, 1966 versus the Cleveland Indians
- Aug. 5, 1969 versus the Kansas City Royals
- Aug. 24, 1969 versus the Oakland A’s
- July 8, 1970 versus the New York Yankees
- July 7, 1971 versus the Washington Senators
Robinson homered in each of those six games. He had a multi-homer game in two of the six, first versus the Tigers in 1966 and again versus the Yankees in 1970.
Given a time machine but forced to select one date, I would find myself in Memorial Stadium on July 8, 1970, to witness Robinson’s two-homer effort against the New York Yankees. It included a home run leading off the ninth inning that initiated a three-run, game-winning rally for the Orioles.
And yes, Robinson is one of Baltimore’s FHAAT Boys.